Monday, August 30, 2010

Stegall - Will the Anger Last?


Will the Anger Last?
By Mike Stegall
Republican Candidate for Darke County Commissioner

The Great Darke County Fair is now over for 2010.  This is the first fair that I have ever spent this much time attending.  Normally, my wife, Rose, and I will go the fair once or twice and that’s it.  This year, I spent an awful lot of time in the Republican tent meeting people from all over Darke County, and all over the country, really.  I must admit that the fair has never been a huge part of summer for me, but this year, meeting all the people really made it enjoyable.
When ever you meet a divergent group of people, you always get a divergent group of ideas.  Different views and ideas are a good thing and, believe me, I heard it all!  Through all the discussion and airing of ideas, however, one theme seemed to run through every conversation: People are fed up with government. You may think that I only got the “Republican” view, but let me assure you, it was from all corners of the political spectrum.  Republican, Democrat, Independent, Tea Party member, or Libertarian, it did not matter.  There are a lot of angry people out there. 
I can’t blame them.  I can’t blame them for their anger, but I do blame all of us for letting it get to this point.  We, the voters, have ignored our government for way too long. Our founders envisioned a minimalist form of government and in the past 65 years (since the end of World War II) the federal government, state governments and yes, local governments have grown enormously.  With that growth comes an insatiable appetite for money to feed itself.  It is unsustainable.  Thomas Jefferson, probably the smartest of all the founding fathers said, “My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
The American people are now awake to that fact.  They are angry at all the government intrusion in their lives. All the government mandates, programs, rules, and plain gobbled gook that comes out of Washington, state and local governments.  They have a right to be angry, not only at government, but at themselves for letting it happen.  Now, nationwide, we see this anger being portrayed everywhere by everyone.  The people seem to be clamoring for a simpler way to do business.  They want their representatives to be responsible, and responsive to their needs.  No more ignoring the electorate or you will be voted out, as well the Senators, and representatives and others should be.
This November’s election will probably be historic in the turnover in Washington.  The question is: Will this anger last, or will it be over after the election? Will there be a sense of accomplishment and now things are going to be o.k.?  I hope not.  I want people involved. I want people staying involved.  I want an electorate that is informed and stays informed.  We, as elected officials, need to have the public watching us constantly.  If we don’t, we will end up just as we are now: broke, disconnected and angry.  Let’s not get angry again.  Let’s get involved and stay there!
“A government big enough to give you every thing you want, is strong enough to take everything you have”  Thomas Jefferson

2 comments:

mary said...

now lets see,you don't partake of the Great Darke County Fair in past years,maybe when you ran for townshop trustee? Well I guess you are I suppose an honest vote getter AND maybe if you get the office you are running for now,YOU won't need to come to the fair again!!!!

Mike Stegall said...

Mary, I did not say I don't partake in the fair, I said I go once or twice, and that's it. You are right Mary, I am honest about it, why lie to you? You know what? As commissioner, I will still probably attend the fair once or twice, maybe three times if needed for something official. How's that for honesty!!