Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Reds... a unique experience


A unique experience
By Bob Robinson

We were visiting Mom in Ocala, Fla., for the week. On one of the days, she suggested we visit McDill AFB. It was a 2-hour drive. We planned to eat breakfast on the way.
After about 20 or 30 minutes heading west on State Hwy. 200 she said “there it is… on the left.”
It was called “Red’s.” The building was rustic – not plastic like many of the restaurants you see these days – so I anticipated a unique dining experience.
I wasn’t disappointed.
It started with us trying to enter through the kitchen. Oops. Then we saw the arrow that pointed toward the front door.
“You could have come through the kitchen, if you wanted,” the hostess said as she led us to our table.
I loved the place. It was decorated in a country style that I assumed was uniquely Floridian.
We got our coffee and water. Mom (Marge Robinson, a resident of the senior community, Top of the World) ordered biscuits and gravy, my wife Susan ordered French toast and I ordered pancakes… I was hungry, so I asked for three.
“You don’t want three,” the waitress said.
“Huh?”
“I think you’ll find two is plenty.”
“Well, okay.”


I couldn’t believe my eyes. They were the largest pancakes I’d ever seen… about the size of a two-layer cake.
“How do I eat it?” I asked after staring at it for a minute.
“From the inside out?” suggested a diner at another table.
“Think that will be enough?” asked the waitress a few minutes later.
They were delicious… I managed to get through nearly half of the order.


“They’ll be happy to give you a doggy bag,” offered the other diner.
“That’s okay. I think I’ll pass.”
The helpful guest on the other side of the aisle then suggested that later I try one of their burgers for lunch.
Maybe next time. One unique experience a day is enough.

Bob Robinson is the retired editor of The Daily Advocate, Greenville, Ohio. If you wish to receive a daily notification of items posted, send your email address to: opinionsbybob@gmail.com. Feel free to express your views.

No comments: