Friday, August 20, 2010

Opinion - The Temporary Republican


The temporary Republican
That’s My Opinion
By Bob Robinson

Good grief it’s busy these days.
I had a great trip to Florida and I’ve been paying for it ever since. I’m behind the 8-ball on just about every obligation I have.
Update…
The Republican fair tent has been set up. James McGlothlin and I arrived on time, but pretty much watched the final touches as most of the work had been done by Mike Rhoades, Wendell Miller, Joe LeMaster, Ken Wombold and David Barger. They got there early.
I have two students in Youth in Politics who want to help and learn at the political tents at the fair. One young lady is interested in the Democratic tent; a young man is interested in the Republican tent.
Both are Mississiniwa Valley students. One of them told me the family had my sign in its front yard during the May primary campaign.
I’ll let you guess which one that was.
Remember me complaining about making political phone calls while I was running for commissioner? I’m still making them… not as a candidate but to support the Republican candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives, John Boehner.
We had another session last night. This time it was a hoot!
The phrasing – and sometimes the focus – of the questions is different every time we get on the phone bank. This time there were four questions. Paraphrased, they were, 1) will you support Boehner in November; 2) will you support Dem Lee Fisher or Rep Rob Portman for Ohio Senator; 3) will you vote to re-elect Democratic Gov. Ken Strickland or look for another candidate; and 4) do you believe the President’s economic stimulus plan will help the economy or do more harm than good?
Needless to say, the vast majority of the calls were to registered Republicans. After all, it was Boehner’s team that set it up, and Ohio’s primary election laws make it easy. Still, some of the responses were interesting.
“I don’t have time to talk to you, but John’s a good friend… whatever he’s asking I’m okay with!”
“I’m not interested in anything having to do with Mr. Boehner.”
One person supported Portman, anybody but Strickland and said the stimulus would hurt the economy. But she said she wouldn’t support Boehner.
Another one said she’d vote for Boehner and Portman, then…
“Will you vote to re-elect Democratic governor Ted…”
Laughter. “Are you kidding me? Anybody but him!”
Another person was fed up with the entire system.
“Vote ‘em all out!” she said. “We need term limits. Actually, I think 6-month term limits would be good!”
But she said she’ll still support Boehner.
“Do you think the president’s stimulus plan…”
“Don’t even go there!” said another respondent. “It’s killing us!”
I only got one “goof.” If I remember right, the name on the list wasn’t available so I talked to the wife. She will not support Boehner. She will vote for Fisher and she will vote to re-elect Strickland.
But she didn’t like the stimulus plan any more than the rest of us. Go figure.
The first hour and a half was interesting and fun. Respondents were happy to talk about their feelings in the upcoming election and the “devastating” stimulus plan. Interesting point: several said they weren’t sure about Fisher or Portman because they didn’t know enough about either… on all other points they were strong Republican.
It was also interesting that John Kasich’s name wasn’t mentioned in the calls. I was told that’s because he still didn’t have enough name recognition in the state… that would come later. Not sure I agree, though, as Rasmussen reports Kasich having a 7-point lead over Strickland in the latest poll.
Seems a few people knew him… or maybe it was like the woman said: “Anybody but Strickland.”
Then we took a dinner break – pizza… thanks, guys – and got back on the phones. More than 20 calls and only half a dozen answered. Two sounded irritated and lukewarm, but supported the Republican agenda. Four refused to talk at all.
Must have smelled my pizza breath.
When I announced my candidacy for commissioner on the Republican ballot, I got occasional kidding from friends and people who knew me from my columns. One referred to me as a “temporary Republican.”
I guess he figured that if I didn’t win, I’d go back to my non-partisan status.
Well, I didn’t win and I’m still working to get Republicans elected. That’s my job. I’m a card-carrying member of the Darke County Republican Men’s Club, and its vice president.
Unless members disagree, I assume I’ll be its president next year.
Sounds pretty permanent to me.
However, I’m giving fair notice to all Republicans; local, state and national. While they are in positions of service to the people, I’ll be watching…
I’m not a temporary Republican. I’m a traditional Republican.
There’s a difference.
That’s my opinion. What’s yours?

Bob Robinson is the retired editor of The Daily Advocate, Greenville, Ohio. If you wish to receive a daily notification of his comments, opinions and reports, send your email address to: opinionsbybob@gmail.com. Feel free to express your views.

No comments: