Friday, July 9, 2010

Opinion - I rest my case


I rest my case
That’s My Opinion
By Bob Robinson

“It’s the bottom of the ninth with two outs, you’re down 3 to 2. You have your fastest runner at the plate and more speed on third…
“What would you do?”
“Bunt. Suicide squeeze.”
“Exactly. That’s what we did. You could lose, but it’s your last chance to tie the game and go into extra innings for the win.”
That was how Bill Funderburg explained his “Tax REFUND” and “Senior Citizen center” strategy. The cards being handed out by the supporters of the bond issue have raised a few eyebrows.
I don’t know if he knew I’m a baseball nut or he was just hoping I’d understand. St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds are neck and neck… I want the Reds to win as long as they aren’t playing the Cardinals. I’ll support either team in the World Series come October. Although I have to admit, I’d prefer the Cardinals.
I understood exactly what he was saying. I was still concerned about how his approach would be viewed by the voters in August, however I couldn’t argue with his logic.
The bond issue has been defeated twice. August is the last chance for this particular opportunity. If we get another shot in the future, it will be by the old rules and will cost a heckuva lot more.
This is it. It’s the squeeze play. If the Reds or the Cardinals get swept, it’s only a 3-game series. One of many. If the school district gets swept, we all lose… especially the kids.
We need a win.
Senior center? Funderburg acknowledged that the details have to be worked out. That isn’t his job; getting the bond issue passed is. Space will be available to seniors, as well as the rest of the community, when the issue passes.
More important however is the Tax REFUND. He was adamant… it is a tax refund! It is our money coming back to us in the form of state and federal tax dollars. While true, I still believe it is somewhat of a stretch to refer to it as a “refund.” Voters need to understand that it is tax money coming back to their school district to help pay for the building… don’t look for a check in the mail.
What hasn’t gotten wide circulation yet – evidently it was only recently attached to the card that is being passed out – is a slip of paper that explains the most common sense reason for passing the bond issue that I’ve seen during this entire campaign…
Flat, workbook and lab fees will be permanently cancelled if the issue passes. K-6 fees are approximately $45 per year per student. For the average homeowner (tax value $50-$60,000) with one child in the district, those fees nearly cancel out the tax for the bond issue.
Two students? Most of the additional tax on a $100,000 home is cancelled.
Three or more students? You come out ahead.
Fees can be cancelled because there would be no more maintenance on two old buildings. Maintenance costs are only going to increase as old buildings get older. This has been explained… ad nauseam. The added expense to the owner of a $100,000 home is only about $10 a month. This has been explained… ad nauseam.
Greenville schools has the lowest tax rates of any district in the county. Pass the bond issue and Greenville schools will still have the lowest tax rates.
I wanted to preserve Darke County’s heritage… rebuild, refurbish, upgrade, modernize. Preserve the uniqueness and character of another time. I hammered the district about it.
Ain’t happenin’, folks! The state won’t give us any of our money back; the cost to taxpayers would be twice as much. And some South issues would still be left unresolved.
My message is to members of my generation and their children. Grandparents, Moms and Dads. You can believe it or not, but I’ve been there. I’ve seen it. We don’t want our grandkids, children, nieces or nephews in South School. The Junior High is acknowledged old, high maintenance and uncomfortable. South is all that and more. South is dangerous!
My grandchildren are 2,500 miles away, but I have two nephews and a niece in this district. They are precious to me. The fact that one nephew already goes to South, my niece will be in South the year after next and another nephew the following year, scares the hell out of me.
Most of us have one or more grandchildren somewhere… we have nieces, nephews, young people who are important to us. We watch their sports activities; we enjoy hearing about their daily activities. We care about them, their comfort, their safety…
Call Greenville schools. Ask to see South. Check it out for yourself. The district didn’t authorize that statement, but I bet they’ll show it to you.
Then ask yourself if you would want your grandchildren to go there.
I rest my case.
That’s my opinion. What’s yours?

Bob Robinson is the retired editor of The Daily Advocate, Greenville, Ohio. If you wish to receive notification of his comments, opinions and reports when they are posted, send your email address to: opinionsbybob@gmail.com. Feel free to express your views.

1 comment:

That's My Opinion said...

Debby Sodders wrote:

Bob,

Couldn't agree with you more about South School! Although it has sentimental value, it is in disturbing shape.

I went to elementary school there many years ago (1950's and 60's) and then taught there from 1978 - 1996. The restrooms were disgusting, especially the boys' basement restroom. The old rickety floors and wooden staircases in the 1911 building were firetraps. Back in the late 1900's ceiling plaster was falling onto desks on the third floor. The electrical and heating systems were antiquated. Even though we had monthly exterminators, the cockroaches were plentiful. My classroom was the farthest away from the cafeteria and I still found roaches. Thank goodness I never took any home with me! It was disgusting to pull down an old blind in the gymnasium and be greeted by a bat. Once a live bat landed only inches from my students! Even the playground has no trees for shade on a hot day because they died and were cut down.

Possibly the modulars were a success, but that only goes to show that building has run its course and is too small to house classes.

If I was a business person with a school-aged family, I'd have to think twice about living in Greenville because of the schools. Since all of our county schools have new buildings, I'd probably go for open enrollment. Yes, I know that the school building doesn't have anything to do with the effectiveness of the teachers, but when the facilities are dingy and outdated, it may play into what those teachers can do technologically. Technology is the future, like it or not. We need to move our students into the 21st century with technologically equipped buildings that are handicapped accessible, something that South School is NOT!

Sincerely,
Debby Sodders