Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Special Opinion - Truly Blessed


Truly blessed
Opinion – Special Edition
By Bob Robinson
Sept. 14, 2010

When I was young and stupid, I was always in overdrive, moving from one potential catastrophe to the next. I had no thought of where I’d been or what I’d been doing, and didn’t have a clue where I was going. Nor did I care.
Now that I’m in my “golden years” I often find myself thinking back over those times… some good, most not so good, and wonder how the heck I ever managed to get beyond my twenties.
God was watching over me… I had no clue why, I just realized at some point that He was.
I never worked less than two jobs except when I had my own business, which was kinda like three jobs. I was happily married, had two great kids and, eventually, four terrific grandkids.
But I never really felt I knew why I was here. Why I’d been given all those second, third and fourth chances when I was nuts.
I found out in Darke County. Through the faith of Daily Advocate publisher Rodd Hale and the acceptance of the Darke County readership, I was able to resume my first love, journalism. And I was able to “pontificate” on the sordid politics that had been gnawing at me for decades.
That would have been enough, but I eventually discovered that wasn’t why God had been so patient with me. As we all learn sooner or later, it isn’t about us. It’s about His plan.
His most precious commodity is our most precious resource, our children. He has opened a variety of doors that have allowed me to enter their world and share in their growth and development.
It is the most rewarding thing I’ve done in my life. Advocate programs, such as our internships, the FunDay Bunch and Teen Advocates, were a wonderful part of my stewardship at The Advocate. Working with the young adults in the GHS Key Club has been a phenomenal experience. Teaching at Edison has been rewarding beyond imagination.
There are four young people, however, who gave me far more than I could ever have given them. You know them. They often graced the pages of The Advocate.
Jordan Pridemore, who I’ve watched blossom from a shy 15-year-old to a self-assured young woman, is a junior at Ball State University. She helped me keep my sanity when I desperately needed it, and still is an important part of my life today.
Olivia Fessler brightened the Advocate’s world with her smile and her unbridled enthusiasm. She’s happily married now, with one child and another on the way.
Nathan Eagle, now an editor in Hawaii, taught me that even though we weren’t always politically in sync, we could still learn from each other.
Elizabeth Horner, the youngest writer to ever get a byline in the Advocate and my adopted “niece,” has become a major force in a literary world far beyond Darke County.
I found this recently, posted a while ago… I’ll let Elizabeth speak for herself:
Some people may like Mr. Bob Robinson, some may not,” she wrote. “He may be your friend or your foe.  You may support all, some or none of his views.
“About two years ago, I was a witness when some residents even got a chance to ‘roast’ him big time --- Republicans, Democrats, and Independents who all gathered for a purpose --- to ‘torture’ Mr. Robinson --- for a cause --- to support a fundraising campaign providing scholarship to aspiring young writers of Darke County.
“If you dig up the history of how those young writers got started, especially yours truly, you will find Mr. Robinson at the heart of it all!
“That night, I won't forget --- he willingly took all the blows without a fight, for us!
“Mr. Bob Robinson wrote a book entitled, "God Don't Make Junk". The book is bold, loaded and a courageous revelation of his life, the good and the bad. The message from Mr. Robinson however is clear, as he wrote in the dedication in the front page of my copy, ‘... I hope you learn from my mistakes.’
“I want to express my deepest thanks to Mr. Robinson, who I fondly call Uncle Bob, for he encouraged and provided many kids that wonderful opportunity to develop and put our writing skills into print.”
I saw this on the Senior Scribes website, www.darkecountyseniors.us, and the fundraising Elizabeth spoke of was for the Senior Scribes Scholarship Fund.
This fantastic group of “oldsters” has been another eye-opener for me. They love to write and they are enjoying their senior years as much as I am. But more important, they enthusiastically embraced a dream. My dream.
Scholarships for deserving teens who needed help going to college. I will forever be grateful to these terrific members of our senior community.
I believe they are the plan God had in mind those decades ago. I am truly blessed.
That’s my opinion. What’s yours?

Bob Robinson is Editor Emeritus of The Daily Advocate, Greenville, Ohio. If you wish to receive a daily notification of items posted, send your email address to: opinionsbybob@gmail.com. Feel free to express your views.

No comments: