Saturday, May 29, 2010

Verity - Which Service?


“Verity - the quality or state of being true or real; Balderdash – nonsense.”
Miriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Which service?
Verities & Balderdash
By Bob Robinson

This story was posted on the Internet. Since I’m interest in the message but can’t verify its origin, I’ve removed the individual’s name and the specific locations. I’m simply sharing it as a “Verity.” If I’ve judged its source incorrectly, I apologize in advance.
Please, please, remember this as you prepare for your Memorial Day festivities. Remember the reason for our annual 3-day “holiday”…
“It was raining ‘cats and dogs’ and I was late for physical training. Traffic was backed up at the Post and was moving way too slowly. I was probably going to be late and I was growing more and more impatient.
“The pace slowed almost to a standstill as I approached the site built to honor the soldiers who died in a major redeployment a few years ago. Because it was close to Memorial Day, a small American flag had been placed in the ground next to each soldier's memorial plaque.
“My concern at the time, however, was getting past the bottleneck, getting out of the rain and getting to PT on time.
“All of a sudden, infuriatingly, just as the traffic was getting started again, the car in front of me stopped. A soldier, a private of course, jumped out in the pouring rain and ran over toward the grove.
“I couldn't believe it! This knucklehead was holding up everyone for who knows what kind of prank. Horns were honking. I waited to see the butt-chewing that I wanted him to get for making me late.
“He was getting soaked to the skin. His BDUs were plastered to his frame. I watched as he ran up to one of the memorial plaques, picked up the small American flag that had fallen to the ground in the wind and the rain, and set it upright again.
“Then, slowly, he came to attention, saluted, ran back to his car, and drove off.
“I'll never forget that incident. That soldier, whose name I will never know, taught me more about duty, honor, and respect than a hundred books or a thousand lectures.
“That simple salute – that single act of honoring his fallen brother and his flag – encapsulated all the Army values in one gesture for me. It said, ‘I will never forget. I will keep the faith. I will finish the mission. I am an American soldier.’
“I thank God for examples like that. And on this Memorial Day, I will remember all those who paid the ultimate price for my freedom, and one private, soaked to the skin, who honored them.”
I’ve received a dozen emails over the past week depicting our debt to those who served… however none had the impact that this simple story did.
I’m very fortunate. I’ve had two wonderful fathers in my life. My natural father died in service to his country when I was a child. My adopted father was a decorated veteran of WWII and Korea.
I have friends who served in Vietnam, one of whom was unable to return. And I now have a nephew who has chosen to serve his country. He goes to Afghanistan next month.
I will remember them – and thank them – this weekend.
No tradition, however somber, should be totally devoid of humor. I believe those who have sacrificed for us will appreciate this conversation between a young child and his pastor…
One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed little Alex standing in the foyer of the church staring up at a large plaque. It was covered with names and small American flags mounted on either side of it. The six-year old had been staring at the plaque for some time, so the pastor walked up, stood beside the little boy, and said quietly, “Good morning Alex.”
“Good morning Pastor,” he replied, still focused on the plaque. “Pastor, what is this?”
The pastor said, “Well son, it's a memorial to all the young men and women who died in the service.”
Soberly, they just stood together, staring at the large plaque. Finally, little Alex's voice, barely audible and trembling with fear asked…
“Which service, the 8:30 or the 11:00?”
Until next time, remember, verities are thought provoking; balderdash is nonsense.
See you then.

Bob Robinson is the retired editor of The Daily Advocate, Greenville, Ohio. If you wish to receive his Verities & Balderdash comments by direct email, send your email address to: opinionsbybob@gmail.com. Please express your views or note a few of your own V&Bs.

No comments: