Friday, May 14, 2010

Opinion - We blew it


We blew it
In My Opinion
By Bob Robinson

This has been another interesting week. The election is over… yet it isn’t.
I’ve spent a lifetime voting for Republicans, so Ohio law already considered me a one; however for journalistic reasons I was never an active member. When I became a candidate, it was time. I became active.
I joined the Darke County Republican Mens Club, then toward the end of the year offered my services as its Second Vice President. This year I was voted First V.P. I don’t take my commitments lightly. I pledged to support the efforts of Republican candidates for office.
I’m meeting with my former opponent to talk about his election bid, which culminates in November with three opponents (maybe) on the ballot.


My goal in meeting with Mike Stegall will be to ask him to consider the concerns of more than 2,000 Republican voters… the courthouse expansion, county debt and accessibility to the office. We are already on the same page regarding the need for jobs in the county.
Rumors have been flying regarding the number of names on the November ballot for Darke County Commissioner. As it currently stands, there are four: a Democrat, a Republican and two Independents… at least one of whom was a Republican before he decided to leave the party. Now that the primary is over, I understand he is considering withdrawing from the election and, I guess, “becoming” a Republican again.
That’s his choice, but it would give me cause to wonder why he made the decision to bolt in the first place. Leaving the party was a major step… by law he will carry the label of Independent until the next primary in two years.
People keep asking me if I will be running again. Two commissioners will be up for re-election in two years. At the current time I have no plans to do this. I prefer the relative freedom I now have in expressing my opinions. I had too many restrictions when I was a candidate.
For example, I officially joined the T.E.A. Patriots Tuesday evening. It was something I couldn’t do before. As with all initial efforts, the group has had its challenges, but it continues to grow and its goals are consistent with mine: fiscal responsibility, smaller government, adherence to Ohio’s Sunshine Law, open communication with those we employ, and more. It meets the second and fourth Tuesdays, 6 p.m. at the Christian Lighthouse (unless otherwise announced).
The group has chosen to concentrate on two areas at this time: the current educational structure with nine school districts in the county, and the responsibilities of the Commissioners Office.
I’m not sure how the educational system in our county can be impacted. I believe the vast majority of most district problems are more far-reaching than simply looking at district voter choices… each school board is responsible to a limited number of constituents. However, I support the Patriots’ goal to find out all it can about the current system and to advocate for change if it wishes to do so.
Putting the commissioners office under a microscope – if nothing else – will be educational. And I believe the voters need to be educated. What powers and responsibilities do our three commissioners really have? Once that is determined, the group can focus on how those responsibilities are being fulfilled… or not, as the case may be.
Rasmussen Reports that our president’s disapproval rating has been in negative double-digits for months on end. His one major “success” is wildly unpopular. Judicial Watch’s Top Ten Most Corrupt Politicians includes a long list of Democrats (plus one Republican), two of Obama’s top appointees, and the “Big Man” himself.
You may be interested in knowing that Congress will probably pass an appropriations bill this year without even bothering to do a budget. Imagine deciding how much you will spend in your household or business without first figuring out how much money you have.
We blew it.
After three years of Ted Strickland, more than 427,000 Ohioans have lost their jobs, about 2,000 of them in Darke County. More than 16,000 Ohio businesses have disappeared, about 125 of them in Darke County. I haven’t verified these numbers, but they are consistent with news reports.
We blew it.
Our commissioners are moving full speed ahead on the building demolitions behind the courthouse, but the proposed “parking lot” is going to be gravel for a minimum of six months because of the strings tied to the state funds they plan to use.
I thought the state was broke. And won’t this gravel lot be a violation of a city ordinance?
We blew it.
So when are we going to stop blowing it? We stop blowing it when we start paying attention. When we decide to get involved.
We stop blowing it when we finally decide to be informed, and then vote our conscience.
That’s my opinion. What’s yours?

Bob Robinson is the retired editor of The Daily Advocate, Greenville, Ohio. If you wish to receive his opinion comments by direct email, send your email address to: opinionsbybob@gmail.com. He also has an open blog at http://opinionsbybob.blogspot.com. Please express your views.

No comments: