Friday, November 12, 2010

Booker's Look, by Alan Booker


Most of you know Bill Booker, Greenville’s acknowledged historian. Alan Booker is his son, who has recently returned to the Greenville area, and evidently is as fascinated with local history as his father… not to mention yours truly.

He publishes occasional posts on Facebook, and has given me permission to post his posts. Since I’m a “furiner and a snake in the grass” according to some, this is all news to me. But I’m enjoying it and hope you will as well. Feel free to comment. BR

Booker’s Look
By Alan Booker

Speaking of Friday and Saturday night traditions; nope not cruising, well perhaps in a way it is.

Freezing your butts off because you are only 15 minutes from opening instead of 20 minutes, was the difference in who was just inside the doors and who was outside in the cold awaiting Dear Hazel to open the gate and let us pay to “Lace up” and skate!

The place was always packed on that Sater St Corner and without a doubt you would find a dozen or more of your friends there too. We had our racers and our newbies. I remember my first few times there, my mom was a good skater and taught me a lot but still spent some time on my ass until I found my wheels, then it was game on skating backwards and those great couples skates. Food was ok all everyone ever needed was a dill or some fries!

That was the best sitter in the world (or so our parents thought) . Even though everyone was making plans to split early and be back for the parent pick up or call home and say that they are riding home with so and so, then off to mischief...... Oh Okay damn it!!!! Next a little on Broadway! My emails are blowing up about that so I will give you some of it. Keep remembering!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

Alan

Editor's note: This is his first post… you’ve missed a few in between, but if you’re on Facebook, search him out an ask for permission to join his “group.” I'm sure he’ll be delighted to have you.

Well friends and neighbors here I am back on the olde ville on the green. Some of you remember me most just my pops, but it is just the same. I spent 20 years in the Army and as a police officer mostly in the South, now I have returned. During my time in the Army I was fortunate enough to come back here once or twice a year, after retirement it was a longer stretch. So while the city and county progressed during my time in the service I was able to (sort of) watch it grown and change, however, since I was absent for so long in the later years my homecoming was a culture shock. Some might remember Dad's old weekly well I am here to revive it a little. What I want to address is “our time”. Dad's group of fanatic followers were of his time and age, now it's time for mine. I intend to struggle back to the 60's 70's and even the 80's to jog memories and tell the story of how it was. I am going to do some of this with your help so bare with me on this.

One of the first things that struck me was the fountain in the circle; wow nice! But you know what I'll bet you dollars to doughnut's no one has ever dumped a box of laundry detergent in it. It seemed like a ritual especially during homecoming that someone cruising Broadway (more to follow) would venture from their vehicle into the circle and dump a box of detergent into the fountain, creating a nice bubble bath. I am trying to remember the year, things get fuzzy at times, I think it was 1976, anyway, there was more than one soaper and the entire circle was consumed with bubbles, which in turn spilled out onto the traffic area. That particular night several individuals were seen swimming in the bubbles.

Now I am not trying to start any trouble here, I want everyone to under stand all I want you to do is remember the times, not repeat them. Everyone knows that those things were soooo wrong and hurt so many people.

See how fun it is to remember a little? I'll bet your thinking right now; where was I? Dang where are they now? Well I went through the same thing. I got a million memories, how about you?
 

No comments: