Monday, May 31, 2010

What Memorial Day Means to Me



I survived my remarks at the Hollansburg Memorial Service better than I thought I would, and I thoroughly enjoyed the people I met today.
There were probably 50 or 60 people there… great people who take their Memorial service seriously. I was pleased and proud to be a part of the ceremony.
I also heard some great stories. The one I enjoyed most was the warning that one member of the “firing squad” has a live round… to be used if the speaker goes on too long. I was advised of this several times.
Well, I’m here to post this, so I must have kept my comments within reasonable limits.
I hope they will mean as much to you as they did to me, and to those who thanked me for them afterwards.

Hollansburg Memorial Service, May 31, 2010

I would like to thank Allen Howell and Hollansburg American Legion Post 708 for this honor. I am deeply appreciative of being given the opportunity to speak on behalf of many Americans who take this day to remember those who have served.
Those who have served… Memorial Day… What do those words mean?
I’m a graduate of Texas A&M University, Class of 66. While not an official military academy, Texas A&M through its Corps of Cadets has historically graduated more commissioned officers than any other entity in the nation, including West Point, the Air Force Academy and the Naval Academy. The Aggie Network is worldwide; its graduates serving in every major military campaign since the college was founded in 1876.
I had several friends who served in Vietnam. I recently renewed contact with one, Rich Powell who served with the United States Navy. He flew multiple missions over Nam.
On Friday he told me that he felt privileged to serve… the experiences were memorable - some good and some bad. He said that while he made some great friendships, he quipped “I never really enjoyed getting shot at.”
He made it home. I am grateful for his service. One friend, however, Jim Neely, didn’t.
I can still remember Jim grinning at me when he told me he was leaving school to serve his country. “They need all the help they can get over there,” he said. Even the serious he took with a note of humor… he was always a happy camper and I will always remember his grin.
Eight months later, in September 1968, students from across the campus were called to Silver Taps… the Aggie tradition of Taps. Every light on campus was extinguished. Thousands of students silently left their rooms and converged around the statue of Texas A&M founder Lawrence Sullivan Ross, next to the Academic Building, the oldest building on campus. Silently, we waited.
Within minutes, we could hear the distant steps of the Honor Guard approaching… the whispered orders of its commander… then silence.
Another whispered command… the sound of weapons being prepared… another command… weapons raised… and the first volley lit up the black sky, seven shots into the night rolling like thunder through those gathered. Two more volleys, then silence…
Then the mournful sounds of Taps from the dome of the Academic Building. First, one lone bugle. Its haunting melody – filling us with emotion – echoed for miles. Then two bugles in harmony, signifying Aggie unity and brotherhood.
Eventually, Silver Taps was over, the Honor Guard had left, and the students returned to their rooms as quietly as they had left. First Lt. James E. Neely, United States Army, a young man from Abilene, Texas, and my friend, had been killed in action that August.
That’s what Memorial Day… those who have served… means to me.
My natural father, US Air Force Capt. William A. Baldwin, lost his life while I was still a child. He served during World War II, and 15 years later died in service to his country, trying to land a crippled B-47 bomber.
My adopted father, US Air Force Lt. Colonel John H. Robinson, was a decorated veteran, having served in World War II and Korea. He flew B-29 bombers during the war. He died peacefully of natural causes years later… and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors.
That’s what Memorial Day… those who have served… means to me.
Some of you know that I’ve devoted the last several years to working with our young people. I’ve taught them communication skills, and have tried to instill in them the values that have made our country great. One such student was interning in Washington D.C. several years ago… she invited me to visit one weekend.
We went to Gettysburg… where so many Americans – on both sides of that horrible conflict – lost their lives. We toured the monuments… the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, the Korean Memorial, the World War II Memorial… and the Vietnam Wall.
I found Jim’s name there. James E. Neely, Panel 47 W, Line 51.
Then we went to Arlington Cemetery, where we watched the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier… and we found the last resting place of my adopted father, Lt. Col. John H. Robinson.
As we were leaving for the day, this young intern expressed a concern… she’d been in D.C. for nearly a year and she had heard people comment that our Memorials were built to honor war.
I saw pain on her face. I believe she was looking to me for an answer. I wanted to tell her I had none, that I couldn’t fathom the minds of those who thought that way. But of course, I couldn’t tell her that. I said, emphatically, “No… these Memorials were built to honor those who have served.”
That, my friends, is what Memorial Day means to me… honoring those who have served.
Without them – without these veterans who have given so much – we would not have freedom of religion, we would not have freedom of speech, we would not have the freedom to assemble here today…
The list of freedoms we have is long. They are God-given to all humanity, but they have to be purchased and defended for us – you and me – with the blood of our veterans.
Those who serve.
Some of you have lost loved ones… in a recent conflict, or one from long ago. You have shared my grief… maybe even asked yourself the same questions that I have. I can’t assuage that grief. No one can. I can only ask that you remember that they made that sacrifice for us.
Remember it today. Remember it every day of your lives. And when you see a veteran, please tell him or her “thank you.” Thank you for your service.
 Civil War General, Union Army, Francis A. Walker has been credited with saying: “We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them.”
That is what we are doing today. That is what Memorial Day means to me.
Thank you.

No comments: