Thursday, May 27, 2010

Opinion - Thank You


Thank you
In My Opinion
By Bob Robinson

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the hills, from the lake, from the sky.
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.
This is just one verse of many written for the time-honored Taps that had brought tears to my eyes so many times in my life. I shouldn’t be surprised, considering the history and impact of this unique American tradition.
Jari A. Villanueva, a graduate of Peabody Conservatory and Kent State University, researched the history of Taps. In his paper, “24 Notes That Tap Deep Emotions,” he said there were different stories regarding its origin.
The one he considers most credible was an adaptation from the French “Extinguish Lights,” a bugle call for lights out that was in use when the Civil War started. Various sources gave Union General Daniel Butterfield credit for adapting it in July 1862. It soon spread to other units, even Confederate armies. Taps was made an official bugle call after the war.
The story is fascinating. Gustav Kobbe, a music historian, wrote in the August, 1898 issue of Century Magazine that he thought it was likely to have been written by a Major Seymour, as “he has given our army the most beautiful of all trumpet-calls.”
His article prompted a letter from Oliver Norton of Chicago who wrote on August 8, 1898 that he knew how the call came about and that he was the first to perform it.
“During the early part of the Civil War I was bugler at the Headquarters of Butterfield’s Brigade, Morell’s Division, Fitz-John Porter’s Corp, Army of the Potomac,” he said. “Up to July, 1862, the Infantry call for Taps was that set down in Casey’s Tactics, which Mr. Kobbe says was borrowed from the French. One day, soon after the seven days battles on the Peninsular, when the Army of the Potomac was lying in camp at Harrison's Landing, General Daniel Butterfield, then commanding our Brigade, sent for me, and showing me some notes on a staff written in pencil on the back of an envelope, asked me to sound them on my bugle.
“I did this several times, playing the music as written. He changed it somewhat, lengthening some notes and shortening others, but retaining the melody as he first gave it to me. After getting it to his satisfaction, he directed me to sound that call for Taps thereafter in place of the regulation call.
“The music was beautiful on that still summer night, and was heard far beyond the limits of our Brigade. The next day I was visited by several buglers from neighboring Brigades, asking for copies of the music which I gladly furnished.”
Villanueva’s research convinced him that this was indeed the origination of the music we have chosen to honor those who have served.
Each Memorial Day, we remember those who sacrificed for us… for our freedom of religion, our right to free speech, our freedom to assemble, our privilege to vote, our right to a fair trial…
The freedoms and rights that we enjoy come from God, but they are purchased and defended with the blood of our veterans.
I didn’t experience Taps until I was in college. I had lost my father, USAF Captain William A. Baldwin, when I was in the eighth grade. He died in service to our country attempting to crash-land a crippled B-47, but the funeral I attended was a simple ceremony conducted in our church. Dad was returned to his family home in Maryland Heights, Mo., where he received a military burial.
I was a cadet at Texas A&M University when I first experienced Taps. At Aggieland, it’s called Silver Taps, a tradition that started soon after the college was established in 1876. When an Aggie dies, we pay our respects with Silver Taps.
My friend, First Lt. Jim Neely, U.S. Army, left A&M to serve in Vietnam, telling me “they need all the help they can get.” He never came home. I wept for him that fall.
I wept for several Aggie buddies during my time at Texas A&M.
Years later, I attended a full military funeral for my adopted father, USAF Lt. Col. John H. Robinson, at Arlington Cemetery. He was a decorated veteran of WWII and Korea. I wept for him that spring.
They were tears of loss.
Since my arrival in Darke County, I’ve had the privilege of attending annual Memorial Ceremonies. The tears of my youth have since been replaced by a deep understanding of and respect for the sacrifice that so many have made on our behalf.
They have sacrificed their tomorrows so that we may have ours.
Union General Francis Walker, I believe, said it best… “We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them.”
And to say thank you.
That’s my opinion. What’s yours?

Bob Robinson is the retired editor of The Daily Advocate, Greenville, Ohio. If you wish to receive his opinion comments by direct email, send your email address to: opinionsbybob@gmail.com.

No comments: